Monday, April 18, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH A FIRST TIME 24HOUR RACER!!

I reckon there are a few people out there who are thinking about doing a 24hr race solo and perhaps pondering whether they have what it takes to undertake this challenge many perceive as impossible, crazy or just plan ridiculous. I’ve decided to interview Al who this weekend will take to the tracks at the Kona Dirty Weekend in South Australia and attempt to ride solo for 24 hours for the first time. This article will include some words with Al before and after the race and maybe convince a few readers to get out there and have a crack at the 24solo.

How long have you been riding for?
I started cycling in 2003 through triathlon and then about 2 ½ years we bought Giant Anthem Duallies with the intention of doing some mountain biking over winter for cross training but it has turned into somewhat of a cycling obsession!

How many Enduro’s have you done?
I’ve done a few of the Victorian 6hr State Series Enduros, including the Bendigo and Castlemaine rounds. I’ve also done the Surfcoast 6hr, 12hr mixed pairs (Surfcoast and Gravity) and the Woodend and Bendigo 100km events as well as Otway Odyssey. I seem to have had more DNF’s than F’s in the past 12 months with broken ribs, concussion, food poisoning and numerous smashed rear derailleur’s’ have had me walking my bike through the finishing chute.

What’s your ride?
About two months ago I traded in my dually for a 29er Single Speed Lynskey Titanium and it is AWESOME!!! It’s got stylo cranks, ZTR crest 29er tubeless wheels, XT brakes and Rockshox forks.

Single Speed! Surely 24 hour’s is hard enough with gears let alone without? One question: Why?
One of the reasons I got the single speed was to improve my road racing, as riding SS forces me to have a higher cadence and increase strength for the climbs. The other reason I got SS is to eliminate the mechanical issues that come with a geared bike. For enduro racing, I had plenty of offers to help with handing out drink bottles but none who were very handy with a spanner. So for this reason the SS is awesome as all I need to worry about is pedalling, eating , drinking and staying upright.

So does that mean you’re going to grow a massive beard, rehydrate with beer after every lap and grow dreadies?
If it means I will ride as quick as Brett ‘Jebus’ Bellchambers than I’m willing to do or grow anything!!

What makes you want to do a 24hr?
Just to see if I can. Also, I think that contemplating this at the age of 27 when most of my mates are down at the pub drinking and smoking ... I guess it’s a bit of a celebration that I haven’t done the stereotypical thing, as I would much rather ride my bike than spew all over myself being hung-over every weekend.  

What lighting system do you use?
When we first started riding we were keen to get out there and do some night riding so after a heap of research into what would be the best and the cheapest, we got a set of Ay-Up Lights. 2 ½ years later they are still going strong and I wouldn’t recommend anything else. The V4 Adventure Kit includes a handlebar light, head light, 3 batteries, head torch and a range of mounts. You get to choose from an awesome range of colours for both lights which is pretty sweet. PS choose separate colours for each light as this helps you remember which is which, as they have different shaped lenses.

Do you have a race plan?
My plan is to make sure I eat enough, because in past races I haven’t. I’m thinking it is going to be a good idea to stop after every 4 hours for 15 minutes or so to ensure I get enough calories in. I’m going to pull over and refuel/rehydrate if I feel myself running a bit on empty. I also aim to not fall asleep whilst still riding my bike!

What types of hydration and food are you going to be using during the race?
Nuun Hydration to rehydrate, Endura Optimizer and sustagen for calorie drinks, sandwiches with jam, honey or peanut butter, creamed rice, porridge, torq bars, muesli bars and home made cookies. I would normally have bananas but Courtney was not willing to sell her kidney to pay for them, even though I have told her she only needs one. And I may even eat a geared rider if they get in my way up the climbs.

How much training have you done in preparation for this race?
For the past 6 months I have had some pretty consistent training with a couple of races thrown in. I generally get about 10-14 hours in per week. However as I am a school teacher and am on holidays more than I actually work (according to all my non teacher friends), I am able to put some long k’s over the summer holidays. Weekends generally consist of a long road ride (100-150k) and a mtb, Tuesday’s and Thursday’s I try to get in a quality session whether it be strength or intensity on the ergo and Wednesday is a mtb skills session. At times I do whatever training my mates are doing as this is what I enjoy most about riding, the social side to it.

What is your goal for the race?
To ride 300km’s...... and to finish in 1 piece......and to still have a fiancĂ© when we leave for Victoria.

POST RACE QUESTIONS
How are you feeling?
Pretty sore.  

How did the race go?
Not so good, about 7 minutes into the race I crashed on my head and consequently had to go to the emergency room as I lost feeling in my arm and didn’t have much movement in my neck.

So things definitely did not go to plan then?
Nope, not at all. I was pretty devastated at not being able to finish another race. However, there is always another bike race, there isn’t always another neck though!

Thanks for the interview and good luck for your upcoming races!

I reckon if you’re thinking contemplating doing a 24hour my advice is just do it! You’ll never ever know if you never ever have a go!!! It’s great fun, you get to meet and chat to lots of different people and eat loads of food all whilst riding some wicked trails and doing some night riding.

However, things don’t always go according to plan as Al race has shown.  It was hard for me as support crew to see Al in the state he was, he wanted more than anything to finish this race. He had invested so much time training and preparing for this race, the past 6 months of training had been geared towards this race and it involved a 1300km round trip to be there. However, as support crew it is important to know when a rider is in danger of doing further damage to themselves and if you need to force them to stop for their own wellbeing then it must be done. Al continued to ride for another 3 ½ hours after the crash and each time he came into pit he was clearly in pain and his movement was lessening each time. Most riders are very stubborn and Al was refusing to give up. As support crew I had to seek further medical opinion (a big  thank you to the off duty paramedic who helped us)and we decided if he kept riding he was risking permanent damage. Luckily no permanent damage and no doubt he hill be back on the bike very soon!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment