Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chick and Bib Knicks

PDFPrintE-mail
Whilst out riding the East Gippsland Rail Trail on the weekend and for the third time needing to stop for a ‘nature break’ after having held on for as long as humanly possible, I was cursing myself for wearing Bib Knicks. I have found myself in this situation plenty of times in the past year so have decided to post a blog about this issue in the hope that other female riders will come forth with ideas/suggestions/stories about wearing bib knicks! I also hope it may bring to light in the minds of males the dilemma we females face when wearing bib knicks.
For the past 3 years I have had Al in my ear about wearing bib knicks, “how can you not wear bib knicks? You’re missing out on so much comfort by not wearing bib knicks, you’re crazy for not wearing bib knicks, once you go bib knicks you’ll never go back” were the constant lines I was hearing every time I kitted up to go out for a ride. Finally, at the beginning of the year I cracked and put a pair of bib knicks.
Well, as much as it pains me to say it, you were right Al. Bib knicks rock my world. Yes they are loads comfier, yes I never want to go back, yes I was crazy for resisting bib knicks for so long. However, being a mtb endurance racer, how do you propose I wear knicks on long rides and most importantly during 24hour races?
Throughout the year when kitting up to go on long road rides I have often thought “hmm..wearing bib knicks is loads comfier, but what if I need a nature break?” and nearly every time I choose the comfy option only to regret it 3 hours into the ride, when I am sitting behind a tree (especially tough in the Ballarat winter months when I have to unplug my ipod, take off my helmet, take off my long sleeve jersey, then short sleeve jersey) absolutely freezing both top and bottom.
It is quite the ordeal and on more than one occasion I have been busted and yes it has been very awkward indeed. So with the Worlds24 coming up, I am unsure as whether to wear bib knicks as obviously I want to be as comfy as possible, but will probably lose a hour or so of nature break time having to go through the nature break bib knick ordeal. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!
Now that I have converted to bib knicks Al is trying to get me onto this chamois butt cream but perhaps that’s a whole other article I will have to write about.....

No comments:

Post a Comment